In 2017 the Ministry of Defence (MOD) contacted SecureCloud+, requiring support for a critical project. They needed to transform defensive cyber capability across the front-line commands (FLCs) of Navy, Army and RAF, this included replacing the existing deployable cyber platform used by the Cyber Protection Teams (CPTs) on Operations.
The client plays a vital role in terms of leading the defensive cyber strategy, supporting global military operations and improving innovation and digital information exploitation across Defence. Failure to protect the data would result in a major security breach on very high classified systems.
Due to the complexities of the operational infrastructure within the MOD, there was a need to improve awareness and responsiveness in addressing emerging inside and outside cyber threats. The immediate challenge was to replace existing legacy capability with a fresh new approach, this approach would include a subset of Cyber Situational Awareness Fusion Architecture design.
There was an urgent requirement to provide an operational ready platform within 3 months that would provide the functionality to acquire real-time and retrospective analysis to aid the prediction of future cyberattacks.
This required improvement upon their current ability to test, evaluate and deploy applications and technologies to counteract cyber threats. The result was the client’s engagement with industry partners to address this issue on a limited budget.
The client required the provision of a secure managed service for use in live operations which needed to be agile so that the service could be deployed rapidly.
Additional requirements were:
- Interoperability and interactivity with Cyber Situational Awareness Fusion Architecture, ensuring adherence to MOD standards, policies and processe
- Secure data ingestion across a dispersed network in real-time
- A real-time, fast and Secure Threat Management Service to give total visibility of the operational environment
- An agile service that could meet the fast-changing logistic requirements of the military services
- Scalable to facilitate fluctuating demands
- A support wrap-around with a Resolving agent on-hand to provide hardware updates and regular software patching
- Rapid deployment Including CONDO support (Contractor on Deployed Operations)
- User training to maximise the benefit from the solution
"SecureCloud+ engaged with the client and project partners throughout the development cycle, on physical and technical enhancement programs, which enabled the solution to be deployed on MoD operations during the beta phases of product release cycles."
The solution involved an evolution of beta development phases across ten 6-month sprints in which SecureCloud+ integrated their expertise in defence cyber disciplines, to develop a deployable CYSAFA solution which met the strategic objectives of the project. SecureCloud+ engaged with the client and project partners throughout the development cycle, on physical and technical enhancement programs, which enabled the solution to be deployed on MoD operations during the beta phases of product release cycles.
SecureCloud+ retain responsibility for the build and support program associated with the latest released versions of DCC Small, knowledge transfer to end-user and support elements. In addition, SecureCloud+ provided scheduling and work services associated with preserving the extensive fleet of multi-domain Cyber Defence assets at high operational readiness. Operational support documentation and an extensive end-user training program were also provided in support of the CYSAFA project.
The solution enabled the processing and dissemination of threat analysis and identification of cyber vulnerabilities in real-time. SecureCloud+ fulfilled the role as the Resolving Agent for all hardware-related aspects. This includes ensuring that all hardware is operational and secure via ITIL best practice Service Management Processes I.e. Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management and Patch Management.
- Infrastructure expertise and enhancements to their operational systems
- A cost-effective solution which enabled users to reduce costs on operational delivery
+ A secure managed service that supports the end-to-end management and resolution of incidents in a timely fashion
- The fulfilment of routine and regular maintenance activities in dispersed environments
- The continual development of training courses that keep pace with technological advances in hardware
- A solution that is fit for purpose for military personnel in varying operational environments
Working in collaboration with an industry prime, SecureCloud+ was selected as a key member of the System Integration Team, helping to shape each iteration of the solution. SecureCloud+ have been involved from the initial design phases and Beta development for an integrated commercial offering into the Defence Cyber Capability strategy along with its partners. SecureCloud+’s cost-effective managed service allowed the MOD’s critical information to be protected and monitored through a reliable and up to date threat management system that is portable and deployable anywhere in the world on operational service.
The MOD now has the reassurance that their critical networks are being protected from inside and outside threats. Throughout the initial roll-out phase, SecureCloud+ have demonstrated to the client their ability to handle complex MOD requirements by rapidly delivering innovative hardware solutions at a valuable cost.